Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Sarawak Eyes 5 Million Tourist Arrivals This Year, Via Singapore, Hong Kong

KUCHING, March 23 (Bernama) -- With a view to luring five million tourists to Sarawak this year, the state government will liaise with Singapore and Hong Kong to record the statistics from the two iconic Asian tourist hubs.

State tourism minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg noted that last year, 60 per cent of the 25.7 million tourists to Malaysia came through Singapore, while Hong Kong was the gateway for tourists from mainland China.

He said the state government had signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Singapore Cooperation Enterprise to tap the island's expertise in developing new tourism destinations and products.

He was speaking to the media after chairing the Sarawak Tourism Steering Committee annual meeting here Wednesday.

On Singapore, Abang Johari said the state would hold its 'Sarawak Week in Singapore' promotion campaigns in the next two months under the tagline, 'Let's Play, Play in Sarawak...Where Adventure Lives'.

He added there would be aggressive promotions through bus wraps, documentaries, product updates and business sessions in the island's media and on social media.

On Hong Kong, Abang Johari said the state government had also signed an MoU with Hong Kong Airlines which would begin its maiden flight here, beginning April 26 and then twice weekly direct from Hong Kong.

-bernama.

No comments:

Post a Comment