Sunday 25 September 2016

Malaysian duo out to excel in Sepang

Eager to shine: Akash (left) and Nabil are confident of using their
Sepang track experience to good use at the GP3 and GP2 races.
KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian racers Nabil Jeffri and Akash Nandy are hoping to use their experience at the Sepang International Circuit (SIC) to gain an advantage over their rivals in the GP2 and GP3 races there.

Nabil said although he had driving expe­rience at the newly upgraded SIC, the heat and humidity would prove to be a challenge.
“This circuit is my favourite, though it is demanding physically because of the high-speed corners.
“I came back three weeks early to prepare myself for the race and I am training by cycling and running,” he told reporters recently.
The 23-year-old said this would be his first home race in GP2 and there was a lot of expectations for him to perform well.
“My target is to finish in the top 10,” he said, adding that he believed the upgraded track would lead to faster times and more overtaking opportunities.
Nabil, who is racing for Arden International, said he had been driving on the track since he was 16 and his experience had led to other drivers asking him for tips on racing at the circuit.
“I try to help them as much as I can but it’s not as easy as telling them to turn right here and turn left there. You have to get a feel of it,” he said.
Meanwhile, 19-year-old Akash Nandy also believed he had an edge over the other racers in GP3 because of his driving experience at SIC. “I agree with Nabil. I started my career at Sepang and will use that to my advantage,” he added.
Akash said apart from racing, he also focused on studying for his law degree.
“It’s tough balancing my personal life and career but the university I am studying in has given me a lot of support.
“In terms of friendship, I have made some friends but lost some since I started racing,” he said.
The GP2 and GP3 races will be held during the Formula 1 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix weekend on Oct 1 and 2.
The Formula 1 teams will be arriving this week and begin setting up at the circuit ahead of the race.

-thestar online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.