KUALA LUMPUR, March 21 (Bernama) -- Melaka is targeting eight million tourist arrivals this year, up from the 7.2 million last year, the mayor of Melaka Historical City Datuk Yusof Jantan said here. He said the state government would continue to promote the city's historical and heritage buildings and sites in order to draw more tourists.
"We have a unique potpourri of cultures which can attract tourists. We also have many craft industries," he told Bernama after appearing as a guest on the "Hello Malaysia" talk show on Bernama TV. Yusof said that following the declaration of Melaka city as a world heritage site by Unesco, the number of tourist arrivals had gone up by 20 per cent. As such, he said, various efforts would be taken to retain the status of the city as a world heritage site, including setting up a world heritage site office probably in June.
"The office will determine the guidelines and legislation on development and renovation at the world heritage site. It will also recruit conservation experts," he said. Yusof also said that to reduce traffic congestion in the city during weekends and on public holidays, the state government planned to construct a flyover from the Air Keroh toll plaza to Armada Hotel in the city centre. Also on the cards was a tram route from the toll plaza to Melaka Raya, he added.