Saturday, September 5, 2015

Kedah Targets 5 Million Tourists Next Year

image: Discover Kedah facebook
KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 4 (Bernama) -- The Kedah state government is targeting the arrival of some five million tourists into the state through various programmes organised in conjunction with the 'Discovery Kedah 2016' campaign.

Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir said the tourism campaign themed 'Kedah, Malaysia: Where It All Began' organised for the first time, was targeting tourists from ASEAN countries such as Singapore, Thailand, Brunei and Indonesia.

"This campaign is expected to raise the name of Kedah as a tourist destination in addition to emphasising the diversity of tourist destinations it offers besides Pulau Langkawi.

"Kedah has many attractive and amazing tourism products especially its historical heritage, as one of the oldest civilisations in Southeast Asia and the Kedah sultanate as one of the oldest existing monarchies in the world," he said.

He was speaking to reporters after launching the campaign in conjunction with the Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents (MATTA) fair here, today.

Mukhriz said that with a wide range of effective tourism promotions, it hopes to increase the number of tourists to the state from the 3.8 million locals and foreigners who visited the state last year.

"There are approximately 500 hotels across Kedah including Pulau Langkawi, and we hope to generate income for the state, targeting that tourists stay in Kedah for more than a week," he said.

The campaign, which kicks off in March next year is one of the state government's efforts to promote Kedah, not only as a tourist destination, but also for business and investment.

-bernama.
http://www.discover-kedah.my/
https://www.facebook.com/discoverkedah2016?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment