KUALA LUMPUR, 14 NOV 2018: The much-awaited Malaysia Year End Sale (MYES) has returned with more great deals, discounts as well as exciting events. It commenced on 1 November and will continue until 31 December 2018 with many shopping malls in Malaysia taking part.
As one of three major shopping events in Malaysia, MYES is the end-of-year shopping event that wraps up the year with a bang, the other two being the Malaysia Super Sale held in March and the Malaysia Mega Sale Carnival during mid-year summer holidays.
The MYES sale season also coincides with significant celebrations including the Malaysia Open House Deepavali Celebration on 24 November, Christmas Day on 25 December as well as New Year's Eve. Let's check out what’s in store for shoppers.
EVENTS, PROMOTIONS & ACTIVITIES DURING THE MALAYSIA YEAR END SALE 2018:
Most of the shopping malls in Malaysia are taking part in the event, offering huge bargains that are hard to resist as well as line-ups of themed events and fun-filled activities relating to dining, entertainment and leisure.
The MYES national sale event coincides with the Malaysia Open House Deepavali Celebration this year.
- The national-level Malaysia Open House Deepavali Celebration will be held at Pandamaran Sports Complex from 10 am to 11.30 pm on 24 Nov 2018. Klang, the former capital of the state of Selangor, has been chosen to host this celebration. Events such as traditional performances by local artistes and a Deepavali idol singing contest have been lined up.
Christmas Magic is On
Malls will be decked in full festivity to usher in the Christmas celebrations. Look out for giant Christmas trees, carousels, Santa Claus, carolling performances and holiday shows.
- Central Market - 13 to 25 Dec 2018
Central Market Kuala Lumpur celebrates its 130th anniversary with a Christmas event themed “Wondrous White Christmas”. Win prizes, make DIY crafts and enjoy Santa Claus walkabouts, Christmas dance and carolling session while greeting a “snowman” at the vicinity.
- Pavilion KL - 1 Dec 2018 to 1 Jan 2019
Pavilion KL is going with a Disney's Dream Christmas theme this year with spectacular Christmas light shows every night at Centre Court and outside the main entrance at 7pm. The Pavilion Junior Members Dream Disney Parade will also be performed – a great opportunity to catch your favourite Disney characters.
- Pengu-licious Christmas with Plaza Low Yat - 7 Dec 2018 to 6 Jan 2019
Plaza Low Yat features a Pengu-licious Christmas where shoppers can meet and take photos with these cute penguins in and around Plaza Low Yat and BB Park. Santa Claus and Santarinas will also be meeting, greeting and performing for visitors at the main entrance.
- Quill City Mall KL - 24 Nov 2018 to 6 Jan 2019
The Christmas celebration at Quill City Mall KL will feature a Hello Kitty exhibition with the famous feline and about 100 of her Sanrio friends for a nostalgic trip down memory lane. Learn about the history of Sanrio, discover all of the lovable characters they’ve brought to life since they were founded in 1960, and see some of the beloved merchandise they’ve sold over the years, including the very first Hello Kitty coin purse. You can check out the Sanrio Village, the Stationary House, the Strawberry Newsroom and more!
- SOGO KL - 16, 24 & 25 Dec 18 -3pm
Celebrate Christmas with Chiyo & Machiko, Sogo KL’s adorable 20th anniversary mascots and take part in their rebate campaign – the more you spend, the more rebates you will receive.
- Sunway Pyramid - 23 Nov 2018 to 1 Jan 2019
Sunway Pyramid celebrates Christmas this year with a unique Jolly rainbow fun factory, filled with unicorns and rainbows! At the fun factory, you can cruise down the colourful rainbow slide, get creative with interactive colouring activities, meet Santa and seize the irresistible year-end specials at over 1,000 specialty stores in the mall.
- Sunway Velocity Mall, KL - 13 to 26 Dec 2018
Christmas at Sunway Velocity Mall is filled with kids’ activities, music performances, Santa meet & greets, shopping redemptions, and more. Kids will get to meet Shimmer & Shine characters and take part in kids’ workshops and other fun activities at the Nickelodeon Playground.
- Sunway Carnival Mall, Penang - 23 Nov 2018 to 1 Jan 2019
Themed “Season of Joy”, Sunway Carnival Mall is building a huge socks factory this Christmas! Watch out for the amazing indoor snow fall and get ready to jump into the Snow Ball Pit! Come meet Jolly Santa and snap pictures to get it printed as a keepsake to bring home!
- Suria KLCC - 23 Nov to 25 Dec 2018 - Every Friday, Saturday & Sunday
Ring in the season to be jolly with the harmonious Christmas carolling group rendering beautiful songs such as “Jingle Bells”, “White Christmas”, “Ave Maria” and “We Wish You A Merry Christmas”. Other exciting activities include marching band performance, cheerleader performance and Santa Clause meet and greet sessions.
New Year Countdown on 31 Dec
- Usher in 2019 with the East Meet West Zumba Party during the New Year Countdown celebration and fireworks at IOI City Mall, Putrajaya on 31 Dec 2018.
- Sunway Velocity Mall will have a New Year’s Eve Carnival celebration. The event will feature amazing fireworks, a star-studded concert coupled with celebrity meet & greets, carnival games, 3D photo booths, an array of new year sale merchandise and a food truck lane.
Some of the exciting international events held during the MYES include:
- Artbox Malaysia: This is Malaysia’s largest creative market with the second edition being held on 16 to 18 Nov at Sunway City. It features food stalls, Malaysian designers, handicrafts and live concerts, to support and empower local community of creative entrepreneurs. Discover creative artisans and their handmade creations, and support our local small businesses.
- Ice-Watch-Light Up the Night Run: Held on 1 Dec 2018, the event takes off and ends at the IOI City Mall Putrajaya. The race will include 5km and 10km routes around Putrajaya’s vicinity and some 5,000 participants are expected to join the race.
- Guns N' Roses “Not in This Lifetime” Tour: The iconic rock band will perform in Malaysia on 14 November at Surf Beach, Sunway Lagoon. Over the course of the past decade, Guns N' Roses have performed sold out shows and headlined festivals worldwide. Guns N' Roses is one of the most important and influential acts in music history and continue to set the benchmark for live performances connecting with millions of fans across the globe.
Promotions, Discounts & Special Highlights
Majority of the shopping malls offer great promotions during this MYES season:
- Malaysian Handicraft Development Corporation will have its Christmas Year End Sale from 15 Nov to 31 Dec 2018 with 10% to 70% off for all items except consignment and best buy items. Christmas mystery gifts will be given from 1 to 31 Dec for shoppers who spend a minimum of RM500 in a single receipt and they can choose a gift under the Christmas tree. Valid at Kuala Lumpur Craft Complex, KLIA CP, KLIA 2 and KLIA satellite only.
- Sunway Velocity Mall has a Spend & Win campaign from 23 Nov 2018 to 1 Jan 2019. Besides, just spend RM100 in a maximum of two (2) receipts to stand a chance to win exciting prizes!
- As an official bank partner of Pavilion KL, Maybank card holders can enjoy great discounts from 15 Nov 2018 to 1 Jan 2019 along with exciting Christmas redemptions.
- Suria KLCC also collaborates with Citibank by offering mystery gifts for shoppers who spend RM1,000 and above in a single receipt from 23 Nov to 25 Dec 2018.
- Central Market KL, a venue with significant historical value, will organise Cultural & Heritage Tour Programme from 1 Nov to 31 Dec for visitors to know the history of Central Market Kuala Lumpur and learn Malaysian culture through fun art & craft activities. Learn to craft with DIY Gelwax, Batik Painting, Mengkuang Bookmark and Button Badge Decorating available as choices. Book your group visit and enjoy discount vouchers at selected shops!
- Plaza Merdeka, Sarawak, will organize a “Tell-A-Story” event from 1 to 30 Dec 2018. Shoppers will write a short story and share their timeless memories. The most inspiring story will receive a reward.A Charity Drive campaign will be held from 20 to 25 Dec 2018 where shoppers can also participate in family portrait photo sessions while contributing to charity.
- Expect great discounts up to 80% on your favorite brands and many more at Mitsui Outlet Park, KLIA Sepang from 24 Nov 2018 till 1 Jan 2019.
- Spend a minimum of RM 300 in a maximum of 2 combined receipts at any Gurney Paragon Mall outlet for one lucky draw entry from 1 Nov to 31 Dec 2018.
- At Plaza Low Yat, enjoy attractive discounts on IT gadgets during the Mega IT Fair on 1 & 2 Dec 2018. Special offers are available on smartphones, printers and car cameras, even as low as RM5 for an 8GB pen drive. Shoppers also stand a chance to win brand new smartphones, laptops or cameras when they participate in the SPEND N’ WIN contest. There is also the opportunity to walk away with electrical prizes worth RM20,000 in the Grand Draw segment.
BACKGROUND INFO ON CONTRIBUTION OF SHOPPING ACTIVITY TO ECONOMY
As a sub-sector or segment of the tourism industry, the shopping industry has a significant role to play in the economy. As it is, shopping holds the largest share of tourist expenditures. For January to June 2018, shopping constituted RM13.8 million total tourist expenditures, as compared to RM12.3 million for the same period a year ago, which showed a 12.3% growth.
Shopping is one of the most lucrative sectors of the Malaysian tourism industry.
It has been included in the Tourism National Key Economic Areas (NKEA) with 12 Entry Point Projects (EPPs). To date, Kuala Lumpur has won several international shopping awards including the World’s 5th Best Shopping Destination by Expedia UK in 2016 and the 2nd Best Shopping Destination 2015 for Muslims in the OIC Destination based on CrescentRating and MasterCard Muslim Travel Shopping Index.