Saturday 7 February 2015

Wiesberger leads birdie charge at Maybank Malaysian Open

Austrian Bernd Wiesberger putts on the 18th hole during the third round
of the Maybank Malaysian Open at the KLGCC on Saturday. - S.S.KANESAN/ The STAR

KUALA LUMPUR: It’s raining birdies and eagles at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club (KLGCC).
And the hottest player at the end of the third round of the Maybank Malaysian Open on Saturday was Austrian Bernd Wiesberger and India’s Anirban Lahiri, who both fired 10 birdies each.
Although Wiesberger dropped a shot, he still managed to power his way to the top of the leaderboard – thanks to his birdie spree in the first five holes and a hat-trick in the closing three. He ended the day with a sublime nine-under 63 for a 17-under 199 and a two-shot lead.
The 29-year-old will be hoping to capture his first title since winning the Lyoness Open in July 2012.
Spaniard Alejandro Canizares, who shared the midway lead with defending champion Lee Westwood, endured a roller-coaster round which contained an eagle, six birdies and four bogeys to finish at four-under 68. He slipped to second with a two-day total of 15-under 201.
Briton Westwood carded a steady three-under 69 to share third spot – three strokes off the pace at 14-under – with compatriot Paul Waring, who sizzled with a 65 after mixing his scorecard with two eagles, six birdies and three bogeys.
Don’t rule out India’s Anirban either. He has a good shot at winning his maiden European Tour title after charging up the leaderboard with 10 birdies to equal the course record of 10-under 62, which was set by Raphael Jacquelin in 2006.
Anirban, who did not drop a single shot the whole day, climbed 16 spots to fifth – one ahead of American Paul Peterson, who put himself in contention following a flawless nine-under 64.
Wiesberger has been in superb form of late.
The two-time European Tour winner was in sizzling form in the first three European Tour events of the year, called the Desert Swing. He finished fourth in the Dubai Desert Classic last week, third at the Qatar Masters, and sixth in the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship.
“It was a great day for me. This is my European Tour record. I’ve never shot a 63!” said Wiesberger, who created history by becoming the first Austrian to break into the top-50 (he is now ranked No. 48) on the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) earlier this week.
“I started really well with five birdies in a row. I caught up with the leaders and finished off well. “I’ve been working on the right things ... I’ve improved on my putting, and the belief is there that I can play good golf now. “If I keep playing like this, then I have a good chance to take this home.”
He had better be wary of Canizares, who is relishing another fierce battle with Wiesberger in the final 18 holes on Sunday.
“It was fun ... playing alongside these guys is always fun,” said Canizares. “I made more mistakes than the previous days but I’m quite happy I made a two on 16 with a wedge.
“It’s always good to play with someone who is playing well as he’s pulling you to make birdies as well. It was fun to watch, he played great. He kept me going and kept me pushing. “All I can do is do my best and try to have fun – that’s my goal tomorrow.”
Although Westwood surrendered his three-shot overnight advantage, he was relieved to have carded back-to-back birdies on the closing holes “as it keeps my title defence alive”.
“I made some crucial birdies on the 17th and 18th. If I hadn’t, I would probably be looking at being five shots back. It was very important,” said the 41-year-old.
-thestar online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.