Monday 11 January 2016

Malaysian Heroes, Danny Chia And Nicholas Fung To Play For Team Asia With Home Ground Advantage


Shah Alam, Malaysia, January 11: Malaysian duo Danny Chia and Nicholas Fung are hoping for Team Asia Captain Jeev Milkha Singh to pair them up in the EurAsia Cup presented by DRB-HICOM which starts on Friday.
 
The local heroes are expected to pull in big crowds to Glenmarie Golf and Country Club when Asia takes on a Darren Clarke-led Team Europe in the Ryder Cup-styled event which ended in thrilling draw two years ago.
 
Chia and Fung, who attended a promotional photoshoot with the Petronas Twin Towers providing a stunning backdrop, believe they can be a tower of strength to the home team.
 
Fung, who is one of Singh’s captain’s picks, said: “I’m going to ask our captain to consider pairing me up with Danny in the fourball or foursomes session. Danny and I know each other’s game and he’s my mentor as well. 
 
“It’s good for Malaysian golf that we have two Malaysians playing this week. I’m sure we will have more galleries coming out to support Team Asia.” 
 
Chia qualified for the team on merit after finishing eighth on the 2015 Asian Tour’s Order of Merit and is also hopeful to play alongside Fung, who featured in the inaugural edition in 2014.
 
“I’m quite sure I will be paired with Nicholas on one of the days. But it is all up to Jeev because he is the captain. I will listen to what he says,” said the 43-year-old Chia. 
 
“I know Nicholas’ strong points and he knows what is mine so I think we already have some chemistry there.”
 
Fung, 25, is gunning to secure his first point for Team Asia after losing in all his three matches in the first edition of the EurAsia Cup, including a 1-hole defeat to Spanish veteran Miguel Angel Jimenez in the singles. 
 
“I’m happy to be back for the second edition. It is getting exciting. Hopefully we will beat Team Europe. I need to get points for Team Asia, that’s my goal,” said Fung.
 
“The course set-up is good and the green is softer compared to the last time. This course suits my game. I always love playing here because you need to place your shots and I hope to make more birdies this time. We must beat Team Europe. 
 
“I played with Miguel until the last hole two years ago and lost on the last hole. I feel like I’m a better player now than two years back. I’m more consistent and my course management has improved,” he added. 
 
Chia said he expects to receive a warm reception when he tees up on Thursday morning for the Fourball session. 
 
“Right now, I don’t feel anything but I can imagine how excited I will be on the first day. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve not had opportunities to play in this format, especially at this level. This is my first time playing in the EurAsia Cup so I don’t know what to expect yet,” he said.
-www.eurasiacup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.