Thursday 9 October 2014

Lewis Takes One Shot Lead, Four Koreans On Hot Pursuit

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 9 (Bernama) -- World number one, Stacy Lewis stormed home with a six-under 65 to take a one shot lead in the opening round of the 2014 Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia, here today.

Lewis, who teed off from the first tee-box, shot three birdies on her first nine to stay level with four South Korean golfers, who completed their round with identical five-under scores. A birdie in the 16th hole however, pushed her into the lead by a stroke.

"My goal was to shoot a one or two under on the front (and managed a three under score) and got off to a good start. It was kind of shaky on the first three holes but I just hung in there and gave myself a lot of birdie chances and fortunate to make a few (birdie)," said the American.

She said though she was always watching the leaderboard throughout her round, it did not affect her game. "I actually like watching the leaderboard. I like kind of seeing how the course is playing, especially when you tee off later. When I saw the players in front making a lot of birdies, I knew I had to start making some birdies too," she said.

A shot behind her are four Koreans, namely Ji Eun-Hee, Ryu So Yeon, Park Hee Young and the 2011 champion, Choi Na Yeon.

Na Yeon, who teed off from the 10th tee-box, dropped a bogey on the par-four second hole but that lone bogey did not deter her concentration to play good golf. "I really feel satisfied with my game today. I got one bogey out there but I think still that bogey was good and luckily the ball did not roll into the water.
"My putt was really good and hopefully I can continue doing it on Sunday. Hope to come back with a good feeling tomorrow," said Na Yeon.

Meanwhile, defending champion Lexi Thompson of the United States completed the opening round tied in 40th placing with 14 other players on even-par 71.

-bernama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.