Saturday 1 March 2014

Bos Takes The Honours In Incident-Packed Stage Two

TAIPING, Friday - Theo Bos got his first victory of the season after an incident packed final kilometre in Stage Two of Le Tour de Langkawi (LTdL) 2014 from Sungai Petani to Taiping today.

In fact it was a one-two finish for the Belkin Pro Cycling Team with Dutch rider Bos leading Australian teammate Greame Brown across the finish line, leaving a lot of carnage behind them as the peloton suffered a few casualties in the twisty and winding roads leading to the finish.

"As I had seen the profile of the finish before we started today, I knew it would not be a straight road but I didn't expect there to be so many corners. Anyway, that suited us. So, I told my team that we need to stay in front early to stay out of trouble," said Bos, 30, who won two stages in last year's edition of the race.

There were a few crashes in the final kilometre as the peloton weaved through the corners, with no less than six riders seen receiving treatment on the ambulance after the finish.

"When we were in front my focus was on the road ahead, but of course I could hear the crashes happening behind me. I contemplated letting Greame take the win, but I was still on zero wins, so I made a decision to take it."

The yellow jersey remained with Stage 1 winner Duber Quintero of Colombia, who has a 22 seconds lead over Jonathan Clarke of United Healthcare.

"It was a quiet day for me today," said Quintero. "There was a breakaway that went with some good riders, so we kept the gap at 4 to 5 minutes and then nearer the finish the teams with sprinters took over. I just had to stay safe and avoid the crashes that happened near the finish, so it was a very quiet day for me."

Stage Three tomorrow covers 166.5km from Kampar to Kuala Lumpur.
-www.ltdl.com.my


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.