Sunday 15 December 2013

Chong Wei Clinches BWF World Superseries Finals Title

photo: PelanconganKini
KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 15 (Bernama) -- Malaysia's Datuk Lee Chong Wei beat Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia 21-10, 21-12 in just 32 minutes for his fourth Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Superseries Finals title today, much to the delight of the home crowd at the Kuala Lumpur Badminton Stadium here.

The two-time Olympic silver medallist said the victory, as well as his six other Superseries wins this year, gave him a good boost ahead of a number of major events, namely the Thomas Cup, Asian Games and Commonwealth Games, next year.

"I know that I'm not young anymore, but for me age is just a number and I hope I can maintain this form for another one or two years. "Frankly, I'm more enthusiastic now to train harder and to compete, especially for next year's competitions which are more important and tougher," he told reporters after the match.

On the final, he said the Indonesian might have been tired after a hard fight against Kenichi Tago of Japan in the semifinal yesterday.

"I just attacked all the way and sped up the game. I know he (Tommy) could give a good fight because I had met him before in other World Superseries tournaments. "But sometimes we have to consider the player's condition on the day of the match itself," said Chong Wei who took home US$40,000 (RM129,000) for his effort.

-bernama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.