Saturday 12 October 2013

Lexi takes over the lead at LPGA Malaysia

Lexi Thompson lines up a putt in the third round of the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia tournament. She carded a five-under 66 on Saturday for a three-day total of 17-under 196.
KUALA LUMPUR: American Lexi Thompson fired five birdies in a flawless third round display to stand on the threshold of ending South Korea’s domination in the US$2mil (RM6.3mil) Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club (KLGCC).
The 18-year-old carded a five-under 66 on Saturday for a three-day total of 17-under 196 and open up a three-shot lead over South Korean Lee Ilhee on a day when the weather again proved unpredictable, with rain halting play at 11am for over an hour.
World No. 2 Suzann Pettersen moved into third place with Feng Shanshan with an 11-under 202 total after firing a four-under 67. Shanshan ended the day with one-under-70. Sweden’s Anna Nordqvist was the day’s lowest scorer with a six-under 65 to move from joint 29th to tie for fifth with Karine Icher of France.
The last three winners of the tournaments have been South Koreans – Jimin Kang (2010), Choi Na-yeon (2011) and Park In-bee (2012).
But Thompson, who had a 67 on Thursday and 63 on Friday, could very well put an end to that run on Sunday. The American continued from where she left off on Friday by firing birdies on the fourth, sixth, seventh, 10th and 13th holes on Saturday.
“It was a great round for me and I really played well. You just have focus on your game and take the chances,” she said. “But it is not over yet as there are good players behind me and that will make it tough. “It is good to lead going into the final round. But you have to play smart. My putting has been good. I have gone back to my conventional way of putting after I tried to change it a little. It is okay now as I feel more comfortable.”
Ilhee, meanwhile, began the day with a bogey on the second hole and had another on the ninth. She managed birdies on the sixth and 12th holes to trail Thompson by four strokes going into the final 18th hole.
While Ilhee managed to birdie her last shot, Thompson saw her third shot on the par-four stop at the tip of the hole. Thus Ilhee, who had two solid opening rounds, will surely fancy here chances of catching Thompson in the final round on Sunday.
Ilhee said that she planned to play her normal game and that the birdie on the 18th “was a big thing for me”. “The last hole birdie will be a big thing for tomorrow . I think I tried too hard today,” she said. “I tried to make everything. My driver was not good but I knew it was hard to play well for four days in a row. So, it was a good day for me today”
-thestar online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.