Monday 14 January 2013

They came, they surfed and they conquered


The finalists and winners after the prize-giving ceremony.
The finalists and winners after the prize-giving ceremony.

BIG BREAK: Mohd Alif Haikal Jasni records his first win on home turf in the epic final of the Monsoon Mayhem International Surf Challenge

KOTA TINGGI: Surfer Mohd Alif Haikal Jasni from Johor Baru recorded his first victory on home turf by clinching a top prize in an all-Malaysian final at the 7th annual Monsoon Mayhem International Surf Challenge in Desaru, here, last weekend. He came up tops in a 25-minute battle against the elements, beating three other finalists, one of which is his younger brother Mohd Helmi.
Event organiser Nazir "Ajil" Salleh, said the final day of the three-day competition from Jan 4 to 6 saw waves of the most "epic proportions" in the seven-year history of the Monsoon Mayhem.
They certainly helped the event to live up to the "mayhem" in its moniker. Waves up to 1.5m high broke on the shore of Desaru's public beach. The conditions made it a true surfing challenge and created a thrilling finale, which drew local and foreign spectators.
There were 150 participants from Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, Netherlands, Thailand, South Africa, Australia and the United States. Other events included a Slide Jam skating competition and a big Saturday night beach party featuring DJ KBNL from Johor Baru.
Men’s Open winner  Mohd Alif Haikal Jasni with trophy and prize.
Men’s Open winner Mohd Alif Haikal Jasni with trophy and prize.

Meanwhile, Alif, 23, won RM2,000 as champion of the Men's Open category.
"I'm so happy to win on my home break. It is my dream to be a pro surfer, so this is really a big moment for me. "I don't have a sponsor so I want to thank my family and friends who have supported me all the while."
He said he favourite local surfing spot was Cherating in Pahang. "I go there whenever I get the chance. It's my favorite wave in Malaysia. "But I really want to go to Bali, that's my biggest wish now." Alif has been surfing for almost seven years now.
In 2011 and again last year, he received the "Best Johor Local Surfer Award". He can now add Monsoon Mayhem champion to his list of achievements.
Second place in the Men's Open went to a surfer who wished to be known as Mohd "Mamat" Daud, from Cherating. He has won several Malaysian competitions and conducted surf trips to places such as Bali and the Mentawai Islands of Indonesia.
He admitted it was a challenge to adapt to the waves of Desaru, and sang praises of Alif for his ability to conquer them "It's a lot different from my home surf break in Cherating. I won both heats to get into the final, but just couldn't find the one good wave I needed to post a big score.
"I'm stoked for Haikal, getting his first win at his home break. Good on him and congratulations!" he said.
The women make a splash in the Women’s Open category.
The women make a splash in the Women’s Open category.

The prize in the Women's Division category went to five-time Indonesian women's surfing champion Yasnyiar "Bonne" Gea, who dominated the final. She wasted no time getting to work, attacking the often closing-out waves, ferreting out a few open faces to post the highest women's single wave scores in the final.
"This is my third time competing in Desaru. I won the first year I came here, but didn't even make it to the final last year. "I was determined to win this year. "I knew I had to be aggressive in this type of wave condition, and I was lucky to find a couple of good waves that let me post the best scores to win," she said.
For the experienced surfer, Desaru’s tall waves are opportunities to chalk up a high score.
For the experienced surfer, Desaru’s tall waves are opportunities to chalk up a high score.

The Master's (over 35 years of age) Division category was won by past winner, Kaz Tushikazu of Japan. Second place went to Erwin Van Putten, a Dutch expatriate in Thailand. The Master's Division has the distinction of having the most variety of international competitors.
Tourism Ministry Johor branch director Mohamad Isa Abdul Halim, who was present at the prize-giving ceremony, thanked the participants for their support of the event. "We hope you will return next year as it will be Visit Malaysia 2014, and we are hoping for a bigger and better event for you. "We look forward to seeing you again."
the 7th Annual Monsoon Mayhem International Surf Challange
Spectators soak up the sun at the ringside at the 7th Annual Monsoon Mayhem International Surf Challenge.
-nst online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.