Friday 29 June 2012

Communicating through art



Zulaiha (left) and Shahwal with some of their paintings.
PETALING JAYA (June 28, 2012): For three deaf artists, art has opened a way for them to convey their emotions and experiences with the hearing world.
Zulaiha Zulkapli sits at a table at the Deaf Art Expose II 2012, painting a rose on a small, white canvas with a deft hand and a delicate touch. “I was born a hearing child, but fell ill with a fever at five years old and lost most of my hearing,” she signed, interpreted by RC Deaf Missions director Agnes Peter. “I fell in love with art when I was growing up in a kampung in Pahang, and although my qualifications are in graphic design, my passion is in art and that is what I do now,” the homemaker said.
“For me, art is a natural thing. It’s a way for me to convey my emotions, how I’m feeling, or for me to treasure good memories in a tangible way,” she said. Many of her paintings are themed around nature, and her large close-ups of various flower species are popular among art lovers.
Shahwal Nizam, another deaf artist, sees life through rose-tinted glasses, reflected through his art pieces that burst with vibrant colours and simple strokes. “I don’t think I’ve ever painted anything when I was sad. My art is mostly naïve art, which is childlike art – bold brushstrokes, happy colours and beauty in simplicity,” the 30-year-old signed.
Shahwal said he is inspired by Ismail Baba, better known in art circles as Pak Mael, his uncle and a renowned naïve artist in Malaysia. “He taught me to love art, and through naïve art I have the freedom to explore and depict Malaysian life in a different way,” he said. His paintings of Kuala Lumpur, bursting with a mishmash of bright colours, are favourites among children and members of the expatriate community.
For Anuar Shahren, his inspiration comes from various places, including Indian cultural dance, Muslim traditions, kampung life and nature. “Each piece is unique to me; I mostly use acrylic paints, but sometimes oil and colour pencils are used,” the 3D architecture designer said.
The Deaf Art Expose II 2012 booth will be at the ground floor of The Curve shopping mall until Sunday.
Peter said members of the deaf community find it difficult to bridge the communication divide with the hearing world, and her organisation was a way for them to show society what they are capable of. “More importantly though, I want to help them express their deepest thoughts and have the courage to step forward and live life fully, and art is a good way,” she said.
-thesundaily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.