Saturday 12 May 2012

Japanese entrepreneur finds her niche in real estate


Having lived in Malaysia for almost 15 years, Mariko Konno has always considered Malaysia her home and has gone out of her way to promote it whether through work or play.
Konno has been here since 1988 and studied at the Japanese international school in Kuala Lumpur and went on to study management and international business at Monash University. “I have lived here for so long, I sometimes get confused about my identity. I spent many years struggling to find out where I belong but I think having dual citizenship can be pretty rewarding,” she said.
Relaxed: Konno flipping through a book in her home.
She said her dual culture experience had even helped her in her work.
As the managing director of Stasia Capital Malaysia, the beautiful 30-year-old has an interesting job that allows her to put Malaysia on the foreign market.
Her company acts as the bridge between Japanese property investors and local real estate agents and developers to sell properties that are still under construction.
For most people, dabbling in property can be tiresome and a tad bit boring but for Konno, it is an exciting venture that she has always been interested in.
“I did so many things before coming here, I took so many detours and struggled a lot.
“However, I have always wanted to do interior design or real estate so I guess I never stopped looking,” she said.
According to Konno, who has been in the line for a year now, Malaysia is a country that is perfect for the Japanese. She said after last year’s great earthquake and tsunami, the Japanese people realised the need to invest their money overseas but many find Singapore’s property prices too expensive while other Asian countries to be under-developed. Moreover, they love the fact that Malaysia is multicultural and the Japanese can easily blend in.
The Malaysia My Second Home programme also allows foreigners easy access to the country. Konno’s company is busy with about 100 clients coming in every month and that leaves her with little personal time.
She travels a lot and during a trip to Sri Lanka she discovered the same peace and tranquility she had found in Malaysia. However, she saw that many Sri Lankans had been left in dire need of assistance after the ravages of civil war and decided to help out wherever she could. She has joined the K. Sri Dhamma-nanda Foundation in efforts to raise funds for orphaned children in Sri Lanka.
“Now that the war is over, I believe great things will happen there and I want to be a part of it. I think if I want to help the country, I should start at the grassroots level,” said Konno, who recently organised her first charity dinner. According to her, Malaysians are generous and she found it easy to find kind souls to donate to her cause.
Apart from her involvement with the foundation, she also helps feed the homeless in Pudu every Sunday. She has been carrying out the good deed for half a year now. “I have never been homeless but I have been in a place where it is dark and nothing seems to be happening. “You will feel like the least blessed person in the world.
“I have been blessed with so many people around me and I would like to make people feel better and give them the opportunity,” she said. When asked if she would consider living in Malaysia, she said she might move to Sri Lanka some day but she would definitely have a place here so that she could always come back.
-thestar online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.